Study Guide Mesoamerica Chapter 9
1) What is Beringia?
2) Which of the following civilizations appeared first in the Americas?
3) Where did the Maya civilization began?
4) Why did the Maya choose Peten in present day Guatemala to build their first cities?
5) Maya rulers claim to rule as god-kings because _________
6) What group of Maya captives was most likely to be used as sacrifice victims?
7) What building dominated every Mayan city?
8) What happened to the losing team of the Maya ball game?
9) Which of the following is not a Mayan achievement?
10)According to Aztec legend, Quetzalcoatl promised that they would know where to settle when _____________
11)Where did the Aztecs settle?
12)What is the name of the Aztec capital city?
13)Of the four Aztec social classes, which was the largest?
14)What are the codices?
15)How many calendars did the Aztecs have?
16)How were the Aztecs able to support a high population, while living in a region that was considered unsuitable for agriculture?
17)Where was the Inca homeland located?
18)What was the capital of the Inca Empire?
19)The Inca leader Pachacuti _________
20)What did the Incas build that helped them overcome the challenges of climate and geography?
21)What is terrace farming?
22)Who was Inti?
23)Christopher Columbus landed in the America in _____
24)Who was Hernan Cortez?
25)Who was the leader of the Aztecs at the time of the Spanish conquest?
26)How did Pizarro conquer the Inca?
27)What was the primary reason that conquistadors came to the Americas?
Vocabulary Mesoamerica and Exploration Chapters 9 and 10
8. Mayan calendar
9. Aztec calendar
10. Inca calendar
16. The Great Temple