Study Guide Japan
ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS
1) What are the four main islands of Japan?
2) The Yayoi were headed by_________
3) Why did the Yamato chiefs claim the right to rule Japan?
4) Prince Shotoku used China as a model for___________
5) Today’s emperor of Japan is a descendent from _____________
6) What did Prince Shotoku do to encourage Buddhism in Japan?
7) People who follow Shinto believe ___________
8) What city became the capital of Japan during the A.D. 700s?
9) Buddhism came to Japan from _______
10) What percentage of Japan’s land is suitable for farming?
11) How did the sea contribute to Japan’s isolation?
12) The geography of Japan encouraged people to become _______
13) Why did the power of the emperors weaken during the A.D. 800s?
14) How did the Fujiwara gain control of the Japanese government?
15) Under the Nara government, what did government officials receive in exchange for their service?
16) Who were the first people to accept Buddhism in Japan?
17) In the A.D. 700s, why did the emperor and his family briefly turn against Buddhism and moved the capital from Nara to Heian?
18) Why did the Heian (Kyoto) government weaken in the 800s?
19) What clan gained power as a result of serving as regents?
20) As a result of the Fujiwara wealth and power in Heian, other powerful nobles ____________
21) Who were the samurai?
22) What did the samurai receive as payment for their services?
23) What does the word samurai mean?
24) The samurai code of bushido demanded that the samurai be _______________
25) What characteristic of the samurai continue until modern times?
26) What two families fought each other in the Gempei War?
27) Who won the Gempei War?
28) Who was the leader of the victorious clan?
29) What is a shogun?
30) What was the role of the emperor during the shogun era?
31) Who made two unsuccessful attempts to invade Japan in 1274 and 1281?
32) How did the daimyo gain power and became independent from the shoguns?
33) What was the result of the Onin War (1467-1477)?
34) Throughout the Middle Ages, most Japanese came to believe in____________
35) What form of Buddhism was popular among the samurai?
36) Why was this form of Buddhism popular among the samurai?
37) Who may have written the world’s first novel and what was its title?
How were Noh plays used in Japan?
DEFINE EACH TERM Chapter 5
3. Prince Shotoku
8. Heian (Kyoto)
10. Gempei War
13. Onin War
14. Noh play