Study Guide Islam
1. What are the physical characteristics of the Arabian Peninsula?
2. What is an oasis?
3. What is a sheikh?
4. The Bedouins are…
5. Why did Makkah become the richest Arabian city?
6. What is the Kaaba?
7. When and where was the prophet Muhammad born?
8. What was an important benefit of Muhammad’s marriage to a wealthy widow at age 25?
9. What incident inspired Muhammad to preach Islam?
10. What does the word, Islam, mean?
11. Muhammad preached…
12. Why did Muhammad leave Makkah and go to Yathrib?
13. What was this flight in 622 from Makkah to Yathrib called?
14. In Madinah Muhammad created an Islamic state, which means..
15. Which of the following is not a belief held in common by Jews, Christians, and Muslims?
16. What is the Quran?
17. What are the five pillars of Islam?
18. What is a caliph?
19. Who was the first caliph?
20. Why did Muslim armies conquer Persia, Syria, Jerusalem, and Egypt?
21. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam have what belief in common?
22. One reason that Muslims were successful in building an empire was that…
23. How was Islam spread?
24. What city in Spain was a center of Muslim and Jewish philosophy and culture?
25. What famous battle in 732 A.D./C.E. stopped Muslim expansion into Europe?
26. After Muhammad’s death, what two sects were formed as a result of a dispute as to who should be named caliph?
27. The main difference between Sunnis and Shiites is…
28. One of the largest and most powerful Muslim Empires, which collapsed at the end of WW I, was…
29. Why was Suleiman I a great leader?
30. How did the Ottoman government treat Christians and Jews?
31. Muslim traders were successful in part because…
32. What do we call a Muslim house of worship?
33. What mathematical concept was developed by Muslim scholars?
34. What scientific discipline was founded by Arab scientists?
35. What is a minaret?
Vocabulary List Islam